Internet-hassle for hola VPN and confusing debate for hola safety forced me to hatch detailed hola review.
I have joined many communities for VPN user’s experiences, and ask professionals about their recommendation.
The Internet is full of privacy-destructing news like;
The recent “Hola VPN hijack via MyEtherWallet cryptocurrency,” and the news of user bandwidth selling by Hola VPN greatly deflected users from using hola VPN.
Let’s dig deep and find out!
Most of the best VPN providers use different virtual servers from different countries. The servers actually got bandwidth to assign users and to allow them to put their traffic to the encrypted tunnel.
In the case of Hola VPN, they use the peer-to-peer connection with their users or installers. It’s like Torrenting where lots of seeders use each other files parts and download partially.
You can get a good idea of the P2P process by skimming through, “How Torrenting Works.”
Well, let’s move to the hola VPN aspects for which people are most confused.
Is Hola Totally FREE?
Hola VPN is commonly used as a free service, and it is not different from many free VPNs.
Like most free VPNs, hola VPN also have premium service, and the free version is used as a strong tool to covert free VPN users to the premium version.
Here are the striking differences between the free hola VPN and Hola Plus (premium)
In the free version you are a peer, means that instead of being connected to a server, your signals are being tunneled through the connection of its users. But, in paid service of hola VPN, you can use hola VPN without sharing your unused resource to the network.
Not just this!
Hola VPN use its free subscribers as a botnet and sell it to their paid customers for extra $20 GB.
As I experienced, the Hola plus service is faster than the free version. This is mainly for user conversation from free to premium which could be witnessed in most VPNs with free versions.
Some general differences between Hola free service and hola plus are;
- Premium provides simultaneously connection to 10 devices.
- 30+ IP all around the world
- Faster IP change
Is Hola safe to use?
Safety is a prominent reason for which people opt a VPN.
What if a VPN company itself report or accept the privacy compromise? Nobody will ever select such VPN. About six months ago, in July 2018, Hola VPN blog stated the hacking of chrome extension of Hola VPN.
But as a common gesture, the Hola team had also reported it in a lighter way along with highlighting their attempts and notion towards the security patch up.
However, I can never trust a compromised VPN without complete confirmation of privacy and security. While searching for the Hola VPN safety, I witnessed various news reporting the data leak and vulnerability exploitation.
At that moment, I was wondering that Hola VPN management had also claimed the security patch when the very first news surfaced internet but the privacy concerns were raised again. Then, is there a guarantee that this is the last news of unsafety?
Does Hola keep logs?
They log a lot of information!
But this is obvious in many of free VPNs, so this doesn’t surprise me. But, most VPNs mask their policy with excuses like; the data collection is for enhancing the user experience, etc.
But, you don’t need to worry.
Let’s have a look.
- The first thing is, they log your activity, the browser you are using and how much time you spend on every page. Almost the same stuff which is allowed to ISPs in FCC’s new net-neutrality regulation and people are mad about it since they are approved.
- Moreover, Hola VPN state in the personal information section that they keep your email address, your name and the eye opener is your IP address too. This particular clause makes me think that what is the use of having a VPN then?
- You must be thinking that there could be nothing else more devastating. But there is.
Hola VPN shares your information too.
As I said before, despite having such intrusive privacy clauses, many free VPNs claim that they never collect, share or store user information. While Hola VPN review, I had found similar claims.
Here is an example.
A product user review on Reddit
I consider Reddit as a platform where anybody could get an authentic and first-hand user review. Therefore, for hola VPN review, from user’s perspective, I headed to the site.
Surprisingly, there were numerous questions, discussions, news, and experiences regarding hola VPN and to go through every comment took a lot of time.
But I could safely say that most of the comments suggest to stay away and not to use Hola VPN.
Here are some examples.
Hola VPN, sharing my negative experience from r/pcmasterrace
There are some detailed opinions too.
5 Best Hola Alternatives to Use:
Why are most users searching for hola alternatives? They could also search for best VPN. The probable reason is, because there are some efficient features of hola VPN which users don’t want to lose.
These features are compelling users to get an alternative as well as the privacy which was compromised due to hola VPN.
Lets have a deep look to Hola VPN alternatives.
Here are the some trusted free VPNs services, which will give you better security and privacy unlike Hola.
1 – DotVPN
DotVPN is one of the most popular VPN extensions and an epic solution for the ones who are questing for Hola alternatives. This VPN has invaded the internet in 2014 and has gained an immense response from internet users. DotVPN has almost 10 million downloads from countries all over the world.
There are certain benefits for which users mostly consider DotVPN;
- Unlimited bandwidth can be extremely beneficial while downloading and streaming heavy content.
- Vast Server coverage with unlimited switching can provide you with many improved chances of unblocking content through continuously connecting the servers until you successfully unblock your wanted content.
- Easy to Use DotVPN is extremely helpful for internet users especially the ones who are new to VPN technology.
- Features like Free TOR inside an Integrated Firewall add an extra layer of protection to your internet browsing.
DotVPN is available for the download on Chrome, Firefox and Opera browsers. It encrypts the user traffic with a 4096-bit key which is of double strength than the banking standards. Therefore, it is an intelligent choice for anonymous browsing and unblocking content.
2 – BetternetVPN
Betternet is a VPN extension that was previously available for mobile use but could be downloaded as an add-on to the Chrome, Firefox and as an app for Windows. You can get certain benefits through betternetVPN which are either inefficient or completely absent in Hola VPN. Therefore, BetternetVPN is also among the best options for the Hola alternatives.
- No Data Limits with Betternet VPN gives its users great exposure and satisfaction while downloading and streaming content which requires huge data. With many VPNs, users face annoying restrictions which limit them to a certain usage level.
- Anonymity with Unshared IP address is the greatest advantage which you could not get through opting HolaVPN extension. The users have complete anonymity with an unshared password and zero log policy.
- One tap connection is possible through a connection switch that you get on your browser after downloading BetternetVPN. Therefore, it’s an extremely easy-to-use VPN service.
It is a VPN extension that could be downloaded on Chrome and Firefox browsers. It also supports most of the platforms such as Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
3 – Windscribe VPN
If you are looking for a free VPN service with features equivalent to a paid VPN service than Windscribe is a robust choice you can make as a Hola alternative. The exquisite features that are offered by the Windscribe VPN are;
- 10 GB data is a huge amount of data limit from the Windscribe VPN through which you can experience a tension free internet browsing.
- Block ads, Web trackers, and Beacons on websites you use every day. This could immensely enhance your browsing experience as an extensive amount of intrusive ads ruins the web surfing.
- DNS protector and Kill switch are the extra and advance features which you get with the Windscribe VPN.
- link is a unique feature through which a user could check the number of trackers that exists on a particular website.
Windscribe VPN is compatible with all the popular devices such as Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, and Mac. However, a downside of Windscribe VPN is that they restrict the number of servers for the free service users.
Windscribe could be downloaded as an extension to Chrome and Firefox browsers.
4 – Zenmate VPN
According to its features and as claimed by the website, Zenmate VPN is a complete cyber solution to the VPN seekers. It is an appropriate Hola alternative that offers secure and private access to the content you love. That is why it has gained a huge number of users which is more than 40 million from all over the globe.
- Huge Server network is amazingly helpful for users and provides them with greater options for unblocking content and access to restricted sites. Also, Zenmate VPN provide customers the facility to opt the server of their own choice.
- Zenmate VPN protects you against third-party marketers and trackers which evade the chances of getting various target ads.
- Protects from IP, DNS and WebRTC leaks which are available with few VPN providers.
Along with that, Zenmate has a malware blocker that protects you from possible vulnerabilities and cyber attacks. However, there are just four VPN servers to choose from if you are a free VPN customer.
You can get Zenmate for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera.
5 – TunnelBear VPN
TunnelBear VPN is a VPN service with efficient security features that take it up to the most recommended Hola alternatives. This VPN extension has an edge over HolaVPN due to some of the benefits users get through it.
- AES 256-bit encryption which is the most protected and advanced encrypting protocol for data protection. Therefore, there is the lowest possible risk to your data traffic.
- Efficient speed is another core feature that makes a VPN worth considering. You could stream content without facing annoying interruptions.
- It’s a User-Friendly VPN service and users can handle it easily, especially the ones who avoid prolonged connection process.
- Users have a vast option for selecting the servers from 20 countries by their own choice. This means that unblocking becomes more convenient and easy with almost every content.
There are over 40 million users all over the world those have acquired TunnelBear VPN for their browsers. It supports almost all the device such as Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Smart TVs, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Ruko.
You could download TunnelBear VPN into your Chrome and Opera browser.
You Must Be Considering one from Hola Alternatives
Through knowing all these facts you must have ended up with a decision to opt one of the Hola alternatives. People already using Hola VPN might not have experienced such stuff may be due to their VPN usage or possibly there issue could not be judged such as bandwidth selling or IP usage.
Most of the Hola alternatives we have discussed in this article are VPN extension but they do provide satisfactory services. However, individuals looking for a complete package with robust security, smooth streaming, lightning speed, unlimited data usage, torrenting and much more stuff than you must opt a full pledge VPN provider such as ExpressVPN, CyberghostVPN or NordVPN.
However, it is better to buy a product through investing just a few cents instead of being a product yourself.